I was SO excited to see Beyond Meat’s ground Beyond Beef at our local HEB. We had to drive a couple of hours to a Whole Foods to try it for the first time. It was delish, so, we were afraid that would be the case every time we wanted some. Thanks HEB!
I thought I would share the first thing I made with it. For some strange reason, I really wanted cheesy Hamburger Helper, so when you are vegan and you don’t eat gluten, you just have to try and make it happen. It turned out so good, I could literally eat it for every meal. Yum!
Beyond Hamburger Helper
Here’s what you need:
- 1 onion – chopped
- 3 cloves garlic – minced
- 1 Package ground Beyond Meat Beyond Beef
- 1 16oz Package Gluten Free Pasta (I use Tinkyada Brown Rice Spirals)
- 1 ½ cups Almond Milk
- ½ cup plain Almond Milk Yogurt (I used Kite Hill… any kind of plain non-dairy yogurt would work.)
- 3 T Nutritional Yeast
- 2 T White Rice Flour
- 1 ½ tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 ½ tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 ½ tsp Onion Powder
- 1 ½ tsp Salt
- Dash of Chipotle Powder
- A few cranks of Pepper
- **optional – 1 cup shredded Daiya Cheddar Cheese (or any other Vegan Cheddar)
Here’s what you do:
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together everything starting at the Almond milk, down to the pepper and set aside.
- Add water to a pot large enough for the pasta, and get it going to bring it to a boil.
- In a large Dutch Oven or sauté pan, sauté onion and garlic together (in about a Tablespoon of olive oil, water or veggie broth) until the onions are translucent.
- Add in Beyond Meat to the onions and garlic, breaking it into pieces.
- Cook about 6-8 minutes. **Your water for the pasta should be about boiling at this point. Add the pasta to the water and boil about 2 minutes less than the instructions say.
- Add the liquid mixture & the Vegan cheese (if using) to the meat & onion mixture. Turn it down to low, cover and simmer while the pasta is cooking… stirring frequently.
- Once the pasta is done, drain, but don’t rinse.
- Add it to the meat mixture and cook about 1 minute, making sure to mix it altogether really well.
- Serve it with a nice salad, a slice of fresh bread (I’ll share my recipe for perfect gluten free bread soon!) and enjoy!