Happy New Year Everyone!
I hope you all had a wonderful Holiday Season! I won’t lie… we ate way more sugar than we normally eat, and our meals weren’t as colorful as they usually are. That’s what January is all about though, right? Getting back on track…
So, for our lunches this week, I made up some black eyed pea pasta salad and made sure there was a lot of color. This salad is very forgiving because you can really season it anyway you like, add or remove anything you like/don’t like. Plus, it stays good all week and tastes even better each day!
Black-Eyed Pea Pasta Salad
Here’s what you need:
- 2lbs Frozen Black-Eyed Peas – cooked (don’t let them cook too long or they’ll be mushy!)
- 8oz Brown Rice Pasta – cooked (Tinkyada is my favorite!) – alternatively, you could use Brown Rice, Quinoa, Chickpeas…whatever you like!
- 1 Bunch of Parsley – chopped
- 5 Green Onions – chopped
- 1 Red Bell Pepper – chopped
- 3 Stalks Celery – chopped
- 2-3 T Jalapeno – chopped (adjust to how hot/mild you like it)
- 1 Cup Grape Tomatoes – chopped
- 1/2 Cup Black and/or Green Olives – chopped
- 2 – 3 Limes – juiced
- Spices: this is really up to you! I use Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder and Tuscan Seasoning I get from the bulk section of HEB
- Oil – I don’t think it needs it, but you can add 1/8 Cup of Olive or Avocado oil if you’d like.
Here’s what you do:
- Cook the black-eyed peas and set aside to cool.
- Cook pasta and set aside to cool.
- Chop up the rest of your ingredients while the above are cooking.
- Add everything to a large bowl and mix well.
- Enjoy hot or cold!